Namaskaram - salutations

Namaskaram - salutations I dedicate my blog to the enormous art lovers across the globe I love knitting so much that I have started a blog for knitting.Knitting is a job that I will like to go on.Through knitting I breathe life into many people's life. It is knitting time. When I want to relax I do it with knitting. I am a knitting buff.I love to do knitting on various topics. There is no way that you can stop me doing knitting.I am born with a flare for knitting.My face brightens once I touch the knitting needs.The electronic media has helped knitting to travel across the world.Every stitch made will talk about how knitting has influenced people.I have done some and would like to share it with you. Some patterns have been taken from free knitting sites. Some designs have been created by me. Many a times I have modified the patterns to suite my requirements. Finally I can say that I breathe knitting, I talk knitting, I walk knitting - a total knitaholic

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your appreciations are most welcome

My sweet buddies

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Casting on - Thumb Method

Casting on is the term used for making a row of stotches as a foundation for knitting.

It is useful to know a few of the most popular ways of casting on as each method serves a different purpose according to the type of edge, fabric that you require. It is important for geginners to practise casting on until smooth, even edge can be achieved.

Thumb Method

This method requires only one needle and is used for a very elastic edge or when rows immediately after the cast-on stitches are worked in garter stitch [ every row knit].

The length of yarn between the cut end and the slip knot is used for making the stitches. You will learn to assess this length by eye, according to the number of stitches required. A general rule is that the length of yarn from the slip knot to the end of yarn should be about 3-4 times the required finished width.

1. Make a slip knot the required length from the end of the yarn[ for a practice piece make this length about one metre or one yard]. Place the slip knot on a needle and hold the needle in the right hand with the ball of yarn over your first finger. Hold the other end in the palm of your left hand.* Wind the loose end of the yarn around the left thumb from front to back.

2. Insert the needle upwards through the yarn on the thumb.


3. Take the yarn over the point of the needle with your right index finger.


4. Draw the yarn back through the loop on the thumb to form a stitch.


5. Remove the yarn from your left thumb and pull the loose end to tighten the stitch.Repeat from the * until the required number of stitches has been cast on.


Courtesy: The Harmony Guide to Knitting as a Creative Craft

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...